The ability of a business to engage with residents is generally protected speech. The Borough intends only to impose the minimum requirements necessary to protect the health, welfare, and safety of our residents. Nothing in this process is meant to interfere with constitutionally protected rights.
- Businesses and Peddlers must obtain a permit from the Borough if they wish to solicit door to door. Residents can ask to see a copy of the permit.
- The Borough offers a “Do Not Knock” registry through the Ohio Township Police Department. To register, Sign up with this Google form. You must re-register every two years.
- Solicitors are required to obey a “No Soliciting” sign posted by your doorway or mailbox.
- Individuals going door-to-door and not selling anything are not required to have a permit. Examples include: conducting surveys, distributing religious literature, and political canvassing.
- If you suspect that someone may not be a legitimate solicitor, call 911 and have an officer respond.