Frequently Asked Questions


Where do I obtain a Municipal Lien Letter?

Municipal Lien Letters are available through the borough office during normal business hours.

Does Ben Avon require dye testing when a homeowner is selling and refinancing their home?

When you buy or sell your property in Ben Avon, a dye test is required to ensure that your downspouts are not connected to the sanitary sewer. A master plumber must complete this form certifying this to be true. This form must be returned to the borough prior to closing.

What types of activities require a permit?

The most common activities requiring a permit in Ben Avon include placing a dumpster on the street, home or building construction, building alterations, earthmoving / grading, swimming pools, sheds, opening a borough street or right-of-way, driveway connection, building demolition, and solicitation. If you are not sure, please contact the borough office. We would be glad to help you.

Who maintains the roads in Ben Avon?

Ben Avon’s Public Works Department. They can be reached Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m at 412-761-5311 or by email


Which public school serves Ben Avon?

We are very pleased to be served by one of the highest rated school districts in Western PA, the Avonworth School District. Contact the administrative offices at (412) 369-8738 or visit their website at

How can I contact the High School, Middle School, and Elementary School?

Avonworth High School (412) 366-6360
Avonworth Middle School (412) 366-9650
Avonworth Elementary School (412) 366-7170


What types of local taxes am I required to pay?

There are two types of local taxes: real estate and earned income tax. You may be required to pay one, both, or neither depending on your working status and if you are a homeowner

Real estate taxes cover local (Ben Avon), school (Avonworth) and Allegheny County.  Each taxing body sets a millage rate each year and you are then sent three tax bills (or your mortgage company is sent the tax bills).  The local (Ben Avon) and school (Avonworth) taxes are collected by an elected real estate tax collection (Lisa Cronin, who is also the Borough Secretary).  The Allegheny County taxes are collected by the County Treasurer’s Office (412) 350-4120.  Jordan Tax Service is Ben Avon’s delinquent real estate tax collector.

Earned Income Tax In most instances, employers withhold local earned income tax from employees. This should be reflected on your paystubs and W-2. Ben Avon Borough’s collection agency is Keystone Collections Group. They can be reached at 724-978-0300.


How do I register to vote?

Allegheny County maintains all voting information. To Register You Must:

  • Be a citizen of the U.S. for at least one month before the next election;
  • Be a resident of Pennsylvania and your election district for at least 30 days before the next election;
  • Be at least 18 years of age on the day of the next election.

Voter Registration applications are available at the borough office or from Allegheny County Election Department. The county can be reached by phone at (412) 350-4500 or on the web at

Where do I vote?

All residents vote at the Ben Avon Volunteer Fire Company located at 7219 Church Ave, Ben Avon, PA 15202. The polls are open on election day from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm.

Utilities and Recycling

Who collects my garbage and recyclables?

Waste Management serves Ben Avon. You can contact them at 1-800-866-4460 or on their website:

What day is my garbage and recycling collected?

Normal trash collection is weekly on Wednesday. Trash should be placed at the curb after 5 p.m. the day before pickup.

If a holiday (New Years Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, or Christmas) falls on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, trash/recycle pickup will be moved to Thursday.

Recyclable collection is every other Wednesday. See the borough calendar for dates.

What types of items are recycled?

Waste management currently accepts metal, aluminum, paper, cardboard, magazines, glass, and plastics. You can contact Waste Management at 1-800-866-4460 or on their website:

How do I dispose of large bulky items?

As part of our trash collection service, Waste Managment will pick up a variety of special materials not accepted in the standard pickup, including paint products, automotive batteries, televisions, household chemicals and more. A special pickup MUST be scheduled, and can be done by calling 1-800-449-7587, by email at, or online at

You can contact Waste Management at 1-800-866-4460 or on their website:

Who do I call when I am having water problems?

West View Water provides public water service to borough residents and can be reached by calling (412) 931-3292.

Who do I call if my power goes out?

Duquesne Light Company services Ben Avon and can be reached at (412) 393-6000.

Which television companies service Ben Avon?

  • Comcast Cable 1-800-COMCAST
  • Verizon 1-800-660-2215

Municipal Services

What is the address and telephone number for the Post Office?

  • Bellevue 15 N Sprague Ave, Bellevue, PA, 15202 (412) 761-0527.

Where is the local library?

In addition to the Bookmobile that stops in front of Anchor and Anvil every other Saturday (refer to the calendar for stop dates and times), there are several local libraries in the area. They are all part of the Allegheny County Library Association.

Who is the local Magistrate / District Justice?

Tara Smith is the Magistrate / District Justice for Ben Avon.
Her office is located at 660 Lincoln Avenue, Bellevue, PA 15202.

(412) 761-8770.

How do I locate Vital Records and General Information?

Please visit the PA Department of Health to find:

  • Birth Records
  • Death Records
  • Marriage and Divorce Records
  • Genealogy Requests
  • Adoption Registry

What are the other important telephone numbers for Allegheny County?

  • Allegheny County Assistance (General Information) (412) 350-5313
  • Allegheny County Department of Real Estate (412) 350-4600
  • Allegheny County Department of Elections (412) 350-4500
  • Allegheny County Road Maintenance (412) 350-5902
  • Allegheny County Treasurer (County Taxes / Dog Licenses) (412) 350-4100
  • Allegheny County Register of Wills (412) 350-4180
  • Allegheny County Recorder of Deeds (412) 350-4227
  • Pittsburgh Poison Center 1-800-222-1222